Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Furniture is Expensive

When we moved from a ~800 square foot apartment to a three bedroom house, we knew we would need to buy some new furniture. My parents had always given me furniture (they're antique dealers, so they always had something) or built me pieces, so I was excited to buy new furniture for the first time ever. Until I saw the prices of new furniture.

Who knew furniture was so damn expensive? Obviously not me, since I was appalled by some of the prices I saw out there.


This table starts at $2025 on sale. It is made from lovely reclaimed materials which is awesome and beautiful, but that price hurts!


I have wanted barrister bookcases forever. They were originally used by lawyers to store their legal volumes (why normal bookcases didn't work, I don't know), but the style and practicality (less dusting!) is what sold me. Plus these are named Atticus, which makes me happy and reminds me of my favorite book, To Kill A Mockingbird. At $1600 though, these will remain a dream for quite a while longer.


I just love this style of chair; it's classic and a bit feminine while still being functional. With each chair costing at least $330 though, my dream dining chairs were out of grasp.


The awesome thing about this media center is that the faux drawer fronts slide together to hide your television when you don't want it seen. We actually saw this piece in person a few months back and were impressed with the ingenuity, even if the style or size doesn't fit in our house. Plus, at a whopping $4900 (on sale from originally over $7000), there is no way we would be bringing this thing home any time soon.

After getting a reality check about furniture prices, we decided to prioritize what we wanted to invest in immediately and what could wait a few months (or more).

Are you shocked sometimes by the cost of furniture or am I just cheap?

7 comments:

  1. I looooove those Louis XVI chairs! Furniture is crazy expensive, though. We have a few "nicer" pieces (a Crate and Barrel dining table, for example), but I just can't bear to part with the cash on things that I don't think we'll have for a very, very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! We're trying to 'invest' so that we keep things for a long time, but who knows whether they'll be in style or our style even a few years from now. So tough!

      Delete
  2. You're not cheap; furniture is freaking expensive! Right now all of ours is hand-me-downs or from IKEA, and while I would love to upgrade, I know it probably won't happen for several more years. I think if you find pieces that you really love and know you'll keep for a long time, it's worth the investment. Maybe just pick one at a time, and save up for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is basically what we're doing. More because I have a really, really hard time committing when I know we're going to have a piece for so long because everything is so expensive. It's a process for sure!

      Delete
  3. I am actually very scared of decorating simply because furniture is so scarily expensive! I have never owned any of my furniture. They're all hand-me-downs or came with our place, so I'm scared of when we actually have to go choose our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we would have realized this and set aside a realistic amount of money for some furniture, learn from our mistake!

      Delete
  4. I too have recently bought furniture from this place.
    Find Modern Beds At Italian Furniture Store In Miami

    ReplyDelete

data:newerPageTitle data:olderPageTitle