Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer Black Bean Burgers

Summer is the time of barbecues and cookouts, which is usually a problem for me because I don't eat the stereotypical barbecue food.  Just because I don't like hamburgers or hot dogs doesn't mean I don't want to participate.  Instead, I like to bring my very own black bean burgers for those that want a vegetarian option.  They're quick and easy and since I get asked how to make them often, I thought I'd share my recipe.

This is all you need.  Like I said, easy.

First, after you rinse and drain your black beans, mash them up.  You can use a fork if you have some aggression you want to get out, or you can be lazy like me and use the food processor.


Add in four tablespoons of the salsa of your choice.


Add in 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.  You may need to add more breadcrumbs if the mixture still seems damp, basically you don't want the mixture sticking to your hands.  You can choose to add optional spices at this time.  I usually add in about 1/4 tsp. of red pepper and 1/2 tsp. of cumin to give them a little extra kick.


Form patties with your hands.  This should make five to seven burgers depending on your desired size.


Cook them up!  They are excellent on the grill, or use your griddle skillet on the stove top if you're like me and don't have a grill but still want the marks.  I cook them all at once so I can have quick and easy lunches ready for the week.


Serve them with your favorite accouterments.  I prefer mine with cheddar cheese and avocado.  They will be a little drier than a hamburger, so you may need some ketchup or oil, depending on your tastes.


Enjoy!

And, if you prefer a more recipe style format:

Black Bean Burgers
15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
4 Tbs. salsa, your choice
1/2 c. bread crumbs (add more Tbs.
(optional spices)
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin

Mash up your black beans, add your salsa and bread crumbs.  Form into patties and cook on the grill or stove top over medium heat.  Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!

What's your go to barbecue food?

3 comments:

  1. these look delicious! I'm pinning

    I do eat regular hamburgers, but I'm hosting a BBQ next month and was contemplating what to do for the vegetarians. Perhaps I'll give these a try and eat one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's such a good idea! I've been wanting to try making my own veggie or vegan patties. I'll have to pick up some black beans at the store next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mashed up beans made me want to throw up and not just because I'm pregnant. Beans, our one divider :)

    Jenny Mac

    ReplyDelete

data:newerPageTitle data:olderPageTitle